Coronaviruses are a group of associated RNA viruses that cause illnesses not only in mammals but also in birds.
In people, these viruses usually bring about respiratory tract infections which can range from mild to lethal. The most deadly types can cause SARS, MERS , and COVID-19 .
Signs and Symptoms in different species vary: in chickens, they cause a higher respiratory tract sickness , while in cows and pigs they cause diarrhea .
There are yet no vaccines or Antiviral drugs to prevent or deal with human coronavirus infections.
A lot of people who get infected with the COVID-19 virus will experience slight or moderate respiratory illness and recover without requiring special remedy.
Older people, and people with underlying medical problems like cardiovascular sickness, diabetes, persistent respiratory diseases, and most cancers are more likely to have a big hit when affected by the Coronavirus.
The best way to prevent and slow down the spread of the Coronavirus is to be well informed and up to date with the COVID-19 virus, the disease it causes and how it is transmitted.
Here a list of the most effective way to stay safe from the Coronavirus has been compiled.
Useful Tips and guides,
as per the recommendation of WHO have been considered.
Wash Your Hands Frequently
Use either a disinfectant or soap and water(warm is better) to kill the virus. Do it regularly whether you are coming from the shop or visiting a friend or from whatever place, keep your hands clean as this the most common way of contracting the Coronavirus.
Cover Your Mouth And Nose When Sneezing
When you cough or sneeze, cover your mouth and nose with a flexed elbow or with a handkerchief and immediately wash your hands.
Stay in a well ventilated place
Make sure the place you are staying at is well ventilated. Do not stay in a stuffy place as this may lead to other respiratory disease.
Observe Social Distancing
Try to maintain a social distance of at least a meter and a half with other people. This will help to stop the spread of the Coronavirus through contact.
Avoid Touching Your Eyes, Nose Or Mouth
You may have unknowingly touched a contaminated place, to prevent contracting the Coronavirus, avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Wash your hands first to be safe.
Seek immediate medical attention when experiencing flu like symptoms
If you have a cough, fever or difficulty in breathing, visit a medical center right away to be sure if you have contacted the Coronavirus. These are the main signs of COVID-19. Each country has its own Coronavirus helpline, be sure to reach out, it’s better to be safe than sorry.
Sanitize after purchasing animal products or related products
If you visit a market to purchase animal products or animal related products, be sure to sanitize and disinfect your purchases. This can be done by warm water for your products and thoroughly washing your hands.
Avoid eating raw or under cooked food
Avoid eating raw food or under cooked food. The virus can sustain high temperatures hence it is advisable to consume well cooked food and avoid eating raw foods. Wash fruits thoroughly to be on the safe side.
Avoid Handling Hard Cash
Try as much as possible to avoid handling hard cash. The Coronavirus can stay on any surface, be it metal, paper and so on.
It is advisable to consider online payments to make your transactions and be safe from COVID-19.
There are various online payments method which are easy to use. They include:
- Mpesa – Kenya’s number one payment method which is spreading globally.
- Ipesa and many others depending on your location, though the listed ones can be used worldwide.
Top Tip: Stay home
Staying home is by far the best method to keep safe from the Coronavirus. This is the most given advice and it’s reasoning is clear.
Although staying home has affected a lot of people especially the needy, many well wishers are giving back to the community by providing free food, hand sanitizers and masks.
For those people whose countries aren’t in lock down and want to travel, consider these easy to follow tips before you do so:
- If you notice any flu like Symptoms before and after travel, consult a doctor as soon as possible to be on the safe side.
- Avoid visiting areas which have reported multiple cases of Coronavirus. This will minimize spread of the virus to COVID-19 free areas. Although most countries have initiated lock downs, if your region hasn’t yet, minimize movement to such areas.
- Avoid crowding or over crowded places, remember to observe Social distancing of a metre and a half.
- Protect yourself from other respiratory illnesses which may leave you vulnerable when infected by Coronavirus. Make sure you stay in a well ventilated place.
- Wear facial masks, and know when and how to dispose them safely.
Here is a list of the most effective masks to use during this Coronavirus pandemic;
- homemade cloth face mask
- surgical mask
- N95 respirator
- Discard pieces of tissue and any piece of clothing after using them when sneezing.
- Avoid eating under cooked food especially meat or eggs or any other animal related products.
- You should also avoid contact with live or dead animals since they too can be carriers of the COVID-19 Coronavirus.
These are by a long shot the most effective ways to stay safe from the Coronavirus. During this COVID-19 pandemic, it’s crucial to follow each tip religiously. Stay safe as we wait for this unprecedented times to pass.